Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The nWo

Yeah, so what is the deal with the nWo theme music? Let me start out by saying I know wrestling is fake. I no longer watch wrestling and it has probably been 8 years since I felt I had to tune in every monday night. I guess I was always more interested in the prematch taunting/speaches. Wrestling has been called a soap opera for men. I always thought of it as a stage production with stuntmen. I mean these guys and gals have to remember their lines or adlib, usually to a live audience. Then do a pretty intense acrobatic sequence without actually hurting the other guy or gal.

Anyway, My favorite "wrestler" was Kevin Nash. Really big guy, mostly a bad guy throughout his career. He made a name for himself as "Diesel" in the WWF during the early 90's, even getting to be WWF champion for a year. Anyway his contract with the WWF was up and he and his good friend Scott Hall signed new contracts with rival orginization WCW. So on Monday night Scott Hall shows up on WCW, pretending to be coming over from the WWF starting an invasion/War between the two main Wrestling shows. Kevin Nash shows up two weeks later and they challenge the WCW to bring their best three guys to the next big Pay Per View event. Hall and Nash kept their third guy a secret and even fought most of the match two on three. The following video is the end of that match and shows the forming of the nWo (New World Order) and kicked off the greatest storyline in the history of wrestling.



So that doesn't really explain why the nWo theme is the first song listed. Well, I couldn't really really choose one song or band to have the top spot, so I thought the first song should be "Entry" music, like a wrestler coming to the ring, or a closer coming out of the bullpen to close the game in the 9th. I almost went with "Walk" by Pantera...Which would have been my entry music If I had the arm and talent to be a big league closer. No song on this list gets me an instant adrenaline rush like "Walk" does, I know not a good title for a relief pitcher. Anyway, rambling, back to the story. I was thinking entry music for the top spot and there was only one entry song that could be considered. The one that when I heard I knew I was going to be entertained.

nWo, 4 life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Outstanding find, I remember it well.

"Hulk Hogan you can go to hell, straight to hell." Classic.

Fab